Director identification number (DIN)
From November 2021, directors will need to verify their identity as part of a new director ID requirement.
A director ID is a unique identifier that a director will apply for once and keep forever.
This applies to directors if their organisation is a company, registered foreign company, registered Australian body or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation.
Directors must apply for their director ID themselves because they will need to verify their identity with sensitive, personal information. No one can apply on their behalf.
The ABRS is responsible for the implementation and administration of the director ID. ASIC will be responsible for the enforcement of associated offences.
How to apply for your director ID
You can apply for your director ID from November 2021.
You can get ready to apply by setting up your myGovID if you don’t already have one.
All directors need to apply for their own director ID. The fastest way to do this is to apply online.
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
You will need a standard or strong identity strength myGovID to apply for your director ID online.
- don’t have a myGovID, you can find information on how to download the app at How to set up myGovID
- have a myGovID, you don’t need to do anything until November when you can apply for your director ID. Please note that myGovID is different from myGov
- myGovID is an app you download to your smart device. It lets you prove who you are and log in to a range of government online services, including myGov.
- myGov is an account that lets you link to and access online services provided by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Centrelink, Medicare and more.
Step 2 – Gather your documents
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as held by the ATO
- information from two documents to verify your identity.
Examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity include:
- bank account details
- an ATO notice of assessment
- super account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- PAYG payment summary.
Please refer to verify your identity for more information.
Step 3 – Complete your application
Once you have a standard or strong identity strength myGovID and your documents, from November 2021 you can log into the ARBS website (www.abrs.gov.au) and apply for your director ID. The application process should take less than 5 minutes.
How to apply if you cannot get a myGovID
If you can’t get a myGovID, the best way to apply will depend on your situation.
Apply by phone
From November 2021, you can apply by phone if you have:
- an Australian tax file number (TFN)
- the documents you need to verify your identity – as above.
Apply with a paper form
If you can’t apply online or over the phone, you can apply using a paper form. This is a slower process and you will also need to provide certified copies of your documents to verify your identity.
A downloadable application form will be available from https://www.abrs.gov.au/ in November 2021.
What’s the DIN deadline and what happens after?
You must apply for your director ID based on the date you become a director. However, we recommend you apply as soon as possible, and provide your DIN to us (if we are your registered agent), to facilitate any future changes.
|Date you become a director||Date you must apply|
|On or before 31 October 2021||By 30 November 2022|
|Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022||Within 28 days of appointment|
|From 5 April 2022||Before appointment|
Please note: if you were an existing director before 31 October 2021, appointment to another directorship after 31 October 2021 will bring your application deadline forward. Fines may apply for applications submitted after the above deadlines.
A slightly extended timeline exists for directors appointed under the CATSI Act.
If you have any questions or are unsure of how to proceed, please contact your usual adviser at our office.
ASIC – Australian Securities & Investments Commission https://asic.gov.au/
ABRS – Australian Business Registry Services. https://www.abrs.gov.au/